graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, June 19, 2006

The Stuff That Stays

I'm in the process of moving.

It began on Saturday. Actually, it began before that, when I started boxing things up and repainting the apartment. I will continue to be in the process for at least another week or so. Moving is exciting. It's also an assload of work. One of the perks of moving is you get to purge all your old shit. It's like that show Clean Sweep. You inventory stuff, you scour the new apartment for a fresh, clean beginning and you're ready to go.

One of the interesting things about moving is what stays and what goes. Obviously there are decisions to be made about the big stuff. - the couch, the TV, the mattress. Do I get a trailer? Do I just get a new one? But then there are the little things. The things that just somehow survive.

For instance, there is one of the smallest things that has officially survived between 6 and 8 moves (depending on if you count a month here or there with the parents while in transition).

It did not start out as mine. I believe it started out as a roommates. Then it travelled to a new apartment, without said roommate. Somehow, it tagged along after graduation to grad school, where it survived 2 moves and a really bad relationship there. Then it came down south with me and it came with me again, where it is now in my new residence. And it sort of makes me laugh.

And my fiance doesn't really mind it, as long as it stays clothed.

What is it?

I'll give you 3 guesses.

2 Comments:

Blogger Earnest said...

is it your frig magnet of David?? i honestly dont know..

5:56 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

bingo!

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home