graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Football Frustration

I've always been the sort of girl who can hang with the guys. The whole male vs. female thing, I never completely got. Meaning:

I'm not completely down with the fruity fru-fru drinks. Beer, gin and tonics - those'll do.

I once went to a baby shower with Al and El and when we left, I said that I needed a beer.

I wear men's tennis and running shoes. They fit my foot better and they hold up better than women's shoes.

A few years back I completely irritated my mom because I wouldn't let her buy me any bed linens with flowers on them.

Not that I'm anti-girl or anti-feminine or anything. I like candles and flowers and things that smell good and decorating and clothes and sequens. Sugar and spice and everything nice. I embrace the woman in me. But I'm also all about girl-power and ass kicking and all that.

The final thing I'd like to point out in my defense of my tuff-ness is sports. I play sports, I grew up watching sports. I can hold my own in most sports conversations. I used to read my dad's Sports Illustrated every week. I was even the editor of the sports section of my college newspaper. Heck, I even had a boyfriend once told me that I was more up on football than he was.

So, the whole man going off to play golf and leaving woman behind. Or, more specifically, man watching football and woman being annoyed, never was never something I experienced. After all, I lived in a college football town. My dad used to take me to Dolphins games. I even would venture to say that I LIKE football.

Maybe I just didn't get it. Maybe I had been involved with guys with some feminine traits (no, not gay...just metro). Maybe I've just been around those who are not of my team preferences. Maybe 1 game a weekend is my limit. Maybe I just had absolutely no idea how much football, or sports could mean. But wow, will I be happy when football season is over.

Don't get me wrong. I think I'm a pretty good girlfriend and a pretty good friend, for that matter. I have Gator friends. I even had a Gator boyfriend, which is pretty much one of the worst things you could possibly be. However, a Fighting Irish fan would be inexcuseable. And so sitting through a Canes game against VT is definitely not the worst I've experienced. Really, the Hurricans are not the issue. It's more the Dolphins. And I LIKE the Dolphins. They're not very good right now, of course, but I like the Dolphins. So why is it now that I'm hoping they loose, so that my BF looses interest in them and the entire season?

And believe me, I've told him. I can accept the fact that I'm tired of the football season.

Looks like you should welcome Grace to her arrival as a real woman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Earnest said...

dude i hear you...i cant hang with that much football either....and albiet i am not the sports finatic that you may be, my roommates are in these fantasy football leagues and the ONLY thing on tv for the past month here has been football...and frankly...im done with the whole football thing..i cant watch the tigers or even the saints here so why do i care if philidephia and new york are playing?? so what? who cares? i dont live anywhere near either one of those teams!!!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home