graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Multi-Task

It seems since my return to reality after a fabulous weekend conferencing in Miami that life has been running at a break-neck speed. And it's only Tuesday - things have GOT to slow down, or I might not make it to Thanksgiving. Heck, I might not make it to Friday.

The conference was just what the doctor ordered. I heard a presentor say that conferences should do 3 things:

Give you lots of free stuff. What's up vendors? Check.
Give you some good ideas for your classroom. Check.
And sort of light a fire under your butt. To inspire, if you will. Check.

Consequently, new project today. Cave paintings. Yes.

I also had lots of good conversations with other teachers, which is probably the coolest part. That's where you really get the cool ideas. Give away your cool ideas. Laugh. Compare. Contrast. And those conversations always leave you thinking.

Those unplanned, late-night, while-waiting for a slow elevator, and then have to be taken to the nearest couch in the hotel lobby, are the best. I realized that I'm not the only who is a mostrous procrastinator and an even bigger multi-tasker. That I'm not the only one who could not tell you where her keys and wallet are at this minute, how much money is in her bank account, or the last time she fed her pet rabbit. But I could sing you all the presidents of the United States, recite the pledge of allegence in Spanish, and tell you the 4 qualifications of Gothic Architecture.

That's just the way it is. It's the way I work. Sometimes I think I play, "Let's see how much we can pack into a 50 minute block. Drawing animals, making matts for other teachers. checking email, entering grades, organizing the colored pencils. Do these tasks ever include cleaning out the storage room? Or cleaning the office? Or perhaps even cleaning off the 2 foot pile of CRAP on my huge desk? No. Never.

Dude, my job is teaching kids. Not cleaning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home