graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, October 06, 2005

I Hate Today

As a teacher of 11-year-olds, I have the privilege of seeing kids raw. Unpolished and unplugged.

Sometimes it's gross. Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it's sweet. Nose picking. Pre-teen flirting. Super creative ingenuity. Sneakiness.

But whenever it happens, that I see that pure and unadulturated "kid-ness", it takes me back. Or it makes me feel sympathy for being 11 and awkward. And other times, it makes me think, "Was I like that?" or "Huh, maybe I should try that."

Like the other day, I had to jump on someone and move him at the isolation table. To which he complied, threw down his books, flipped over the paper he had been drawing on and wrote in big, fat, capital letters, "I HATE TODAY!"

Remember when we used to do that. We used to write, "I like ----," or "I'm bored," or when we were on the last straw, "I hate today!"

The next time I get a flat tire, I hit the snooze too many times, stub my toe, spill catch up on my shirt, burn the cookies, or loose my keys. I'm definitely going to rip out a piece of paper and tell it how I feel.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amon said...

HP, Lenovo Offer Non-Microsoft Options
My Account | PC makers have been reticent in recent years to offer users non-Microsoft technologies preloaded on new machines.
Hi, just surfing the net and found this great material.
Amon

If you have a moment, please take a look at my site: Hotel Nice France

7:44 PM  
Blogger Earnest said...

yeah thats great amon...
Grace that is the funniest thing ive ever read...great post.
ps. I HATE TODAY!!! and im not feaking kidding either!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Just to clarify: I've never thought, "Huh, maybe I should try that," after watching a kid stick his finger up his nose. Ever.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home