graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, April 11, 2005

We Are The Best

Sometimes I think that we (we, meaning most of the people who read this blog and pretty much everyone close to me, NOT those other idiots out there) know the answers. We may not realize we know them. And we might pretend to be so humble and not look pushy and say, "I don't have all the answers." But we do. We know.

But while we don't have all the answers to world peace, balancing the economy, ending starvation, curing AIDS and how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop (tootsie pops suck, blow pops rule...Does that sound gross?) we do have the answers to those essential, "Who am I?", "What am I doing?", and the always elusive, "Where am I going?"

We might have said, "I don't know what the heck to do after I graduate!" or "I don't know where the heck to live!" or "I don't know if I can marry this person!" But the truth is that we found and will continue to find some perfectly good things to do after we graduate. We are living in perfectly good places for our state in life. And, I (for one) absolutely could NOT marry that person and I figured that out! Snaps for me!

It's not having an absolute answer to those questions. Often those questions could and SHOULD be answered with more than one city, more than one career, hopefully various fruitful relationships, and ONE purposeful marriage. And you answer them as they come. You answer them in the time alloted to you. But we answer them with the all-powerful knowledge of ourselves. What we like. What we excell at. What we detest. What makes us giggle. What makes us swoon. What makes us scream. And probably what makes us money, too. But knowing ourselves is essential in making those decisions. Those daily decisions that we make even unconsiously. From how many times we hit the snooze button. To how much coffee we drink. To which route we take to work. To how we will show the world that reason for which we were created.

For instance, I know that at this moment in time, at the age of 25, I belong beyond a shadow of a doubt in S_____, __. I know that I most certainly was created to be a teacher of ___ to students, age __. I know that I should be dating a very nice boy and that I should be attempting to keep the balance of work, school, family, friends and play. My life is not the greatest. I have $10 in my checking account. My car is pretty old. The city I live in is the snow bird capital of the world. I'm about 5 pounds overweight. I have trouble being assertive.

We are in different states of life. Some in school, some in jobs, some at the beginning of relationships and others not so much at the beginning of relationships. We do different things. We like different foods. The thing is, we know who we are. And if you know who you are, the "Where you're going" gets a lot easier. Doors and windows open. And when you pick the wrong thing behind door #2, we know how to change to door #1. We cope. And our friends help us. And we keep going.

We may not know what's coming. But we know what's up. Because we have something more than the average Joe walking down the street. With that knowledge of who we are, we know that we can do our job and do our part. We know that it's our job to be our best. And because of that, we deserve the best. A misleading word, but I qualify:

We need the best things and the best people in life to help us be the best versions of ourselves. By knowing myself better, I better navigate my way towards grandness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Einstein said...

Wow!! Beautifully written. I'd like to add too that knowing who you are is 2/3 of the battle. It does in fact make the knowing where you go easier and the messing up easier to cope with but let's face it we all mess up but its in the mess ups that you find your strength and courage to not just admit that yes i in fact am human and screwed up but you have the strength to actually try to make things right. But you know I'd say that the other 1/3 of the battle is having confidence in who you are and what you are becoming. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that. Yes I know at this point in my life with a good certainty that I should be studying physics. But I'm terrified of that my real and my very first job. Terrified of treating patients. The battle left is to grow in the knowledge of yourself and believing that this just isn't where you should be but this is where you'll best serve God.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Beatrix Kiddo said...

Indeed. I don't even need to be the best, I just need to be good enough. As in, on Monday, when I find out if I was "good enough" to pass a certain life-altering exam.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home