graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, April 22, 2005

Boat Trip

When I found out that I was going to be taking 19 kids on a field trip on a BOAT RIDE where there was a big possibility that I would get a tan, see dolphins and wear flip flops, I was almost beside myself with joy. The day before our boat trip, I just kept thinking, "I get PAID to do this!"

As I drove over the bridge to work that day, there was not a cloud in the sky and the water was flat. I knew it was going to be a good day.

And while I could not wear flip flops, and while my tan was more of the farmer variety, or athlete, as I try to tell myself, I did see dolphins, and picked up fish, starfish, shrimp, sea slugs and crabs. I also successfully ran a "station" on salinity and turpidity and hydrometers, that I knew virtually nothing about before, but which, I think I know as much as the kids now. Lunch on the beach and only 1 threat to leave someone on the dock before we left and life was good. It just made me keep thinking. Dude, it's been way too long since I've been on a boat.

The highlight may or may not have been walking into school wearing sneakers, my FSU tennis t-shirt, my army (sorry Ruthie) tennis hat, and my pink flowered swimming trunks.

One student said, "Miss Grace, nice dress!" To which I said, "DRESS?!"

"Oh...skirt!"

"SKIRT?!"

"Oh...pants..."

It seems that a teacher in beach attire completely throws off everyone because I was also told that I had "very tan legs." Though, that definitely disturbed me a bit.

The whole experience left me utterly exhausted though. 6 hours on a boat, with no reprieve, 19 kids and lots of work. This morning, I woke up wiht a sore throat and now I have a low-grade fever and plan on sleeping my Friday afternoon away. Sometimes having fun is just way too much work.

Zzzz.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Einstein said...

dude you're students don't miss a thing. tan legs? I didn't know you owned pink swimming trunks? the man kind? or just shorts? why did you call them trunks? it sounds manish. You know I'm the science gek and I don't even know what salinity and trependity mean.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Earnest said...

just to clear this up...i dont DO "boat trips" with lots of little kids...kudos to you...that sounds like hell in an afternoon!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home