graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

That Holiday Spirit

Today I observed Groundhog Day by making the day's sketchbook assignment a groundhog.

For the next week, I will observe Mardi Gras, sadly not by being there, but by listening to the Mardi Gras Mambo, Mambo, Mambo...I'll probably eat and drink some things to get in the spirit too.

I will observe Ash Wednesday by getting my ashes and, unfortunately, by hanging up a lot of artwork at the fairgrounds.

I will probably have to postpone my observance of the Chinese New Year, which coincides with Ash Wednesday, to Thursday when I will eat Chinese food. Grandma told me a good place to go for Chinese. I have my doubts, but I have nothing else to go on in this town.

I will observe St. Valentines Day, (oh, yes, I did say St.), but not in excess. The day has been discussed by all parties concerned. Since learning what a "forced holiday" is from Earnest, I have filed February 14th under that category, along with the biggest forced holiday of them all, New Years. I heard on The O.C. that New Years is the biggest "girl holiday" next to Valentines Day. Maybe girl holidays and forced holidays are the same thing. I don't know for sure. But as far as I can tell, a forced holiday is a day, that should, for all purposes, be like any other, except that people try and fore it to make it different and by spending lots of money. When the reason they celebrate, really should be observed every day. So why make it a big deal? But I digress...

So it will be observed, by him making me dinner, which is great, because he's a good cook. Now, I'm a big believer in guys pulling out the stops for the girl and such so I'm not looking to go all out here, but since he's putting forth effort in the making of the dinner, I'd like to do something nice too.

My first idea was to get him flip flops, because it seemed he had a shocking lack of them in his repertoire. But I now think that may be because he dislikes his feet. Which is silly, because they're just fine, as feet are concerned. My next thought was a dessert, but then I realized that he doesn't really care for sweets - more for me! A new Hawiian shirt, in preparation for the Jimmy Buffett concert we're doing in honor of his birthday? But is that really appropriate for the holiday? Do I really care what's appropriate?

So internet, I leave you this question, what does a girl do for a guy on Valentines Day, when she's not looking to be elaborate or amazing or nausiating or cute or lovey-dovey? Just simply to say, sweetly and considerately, "Valentine, things are good with you,"?

4 Comments:

Blogger Beatrix Kiddo said...

Booze.
Men love booze.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Earnest said...

we do love booze, but i always think of that as something you give co-workers, clients and random i dont know you but drink this bottle of wine in this nifty not really wrapped but sorta decorative bag. Unless you are talking old booze...the its a whole other story...for instance ive had my eye on this 40 yr old scotch but havent the money or loss of brain cells to buy it...
other than that i think sandals are a really funny gift..funny in a good way though...i think the buffet theme ..go with it
ps. good call on the forced holiday reference! its nice to know that im getting through

5:27 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Yeah, booze is always a good one. I did booze for Christmas though, bottle of wine. Buffett shirt from Walmart or something is probably the way I'll go. But then I have to know shirt size and I don't do well with that. Ahhh. Boys. I'm sure it'll be fine.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Beatrix Kiddo said...

if i give a boy a bottle of 40 year old scotch, i'd expect a proposal in short order.
because, that's just the kind of guy i'd date. one who'd think: holy crap, she bought be a 40 year old bottle of macallam, THIS is the woman i want to spend my life with!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home