graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Ghosts of Thanksgivings Past

Here at Graceaplenty we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving all week long. Here is the first installment...

To the best of my knowledge, Thanksgiving in my family has either been celebrated with my mother’s side of the family or without. Perhaps there was a time or two where we drove the 8-10 hours to my father’s side, but I don’t remember that. Thanksgivings were mostly a time to run around with cousins, and wow, were there and are there lots of them. My first 5 Thanksgivings, we’ll just go ahead and say that’s what they amounted to.

1986: This Thanksgiving is notable for the fact that I remember wearing my pilgrim costume to school. I had a pilgrim costume because the year before, my mother started making me a witch costume for Halloween, but my grandmother gave her a guilt trip for allowing her daughter to be something evil. So I became a pilgrim has stayed in working order ever since.

1990: Thanksgiving with the cousins at Aunt Mary and Uncle Joe’s. I remember playing on the swing set, the girlfriend one uncle brought that no one seemed to like, and seeing The Little Mermaid.

1991: Party at 4598! We got our geo-dome that year. I also getting yelled at by the church handbell choir director at practice before the big party. There were potato sack races and races to see who could finish a huge puzzle first. I had the little kids on my team and we were assigned the 101 Dalmations Puzzle, which, with all those spots was nearly impossible. I was bitter. Maybe that’s why I hate puzzles to this day. Saw Beauty and the Beast.

1992: Drawing a blank.

1993: We call this the Thanksgiving from Hell in my family. My freshman year in high school, someone in the family decided it would be a good idea put the whole family on a Value-Jet flight and head to Atlanta to spend Thanksgiving with aunt, uncle and 3 cousins there. This was a great idea, until middle sister came down with the worst stomach flu known to man. Thanksgiving morning, my cousin was in the shower, so middle sister couldn’t make it to the toilet. She puked all over their brand new carpeted stairs. The next day, we went mall-ing. I remember being really impressed that when offered $20 for one of the chairs my aunt had saved for us to sit in at the food court, that she turned the guy down. Later that evening, my throat started to feel a little scratchy. I was a little shivery. The next morning I puked all over the floor and joined my sister in being sicker than hell. Later that day, my dad told my mom he wasn’t feeling very well and she told them that he’d better suck it up and not embarrass her. Directly after this conversation, my dad went into the bathroom that shares a wall with the dining room which everyone was sitting in and HURLS like no one has ever heard before. So much for sucking it up! Instead of taking a family full of disgustingly sick people to the airport, my uncle called up a limo. Too bad I couldn’t enjoy it because I had my head in a paper sack the whole time. I think out of 7 family members, 5 of us ended up practically on our deathbeds. I missed about a week of school and lost probably 15 pounds. My mom told me I looked like "the dog's ass." Months later, a friend referred to it as “that time you almost died” and she really might have been right.

1994-1996: All pretty much the same. Cousins, turkey and Disney movies. Except somewhere in there, cousin Eric backed off and fell off the dock at my uncle’s house while flying a kite in classic comedic style. The Polock manifests itself in us all in different ways.

Stay tuned for 1997-2000.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruthie said...

Hmmm....I think the "Thanksgiving from Hell" was in 1995. I was definitely in 6th grade at the time, which would have been 1995. And yes, I do take all the credit for getting the whole fam sick. I also win the prize for introducing everyone to the chicken pox as well!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Ruthie said...

P.S. You did not graduate from Rosarian until 1994, so I'm PRETTY SURE it was your sophomore year of high school, not your freshman year. At least that's what my little black book says.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Earnest said...

well, now that Ruthie has corrected any and all mistakes concerning the dates of your blogg i would like to add this:
1) thats the funniest thing ive ever read!! :)
2) WTF i cant remember what i did last year for thanksgiving... I CERTAINLY dont remember what i did 10 years ago...im not sure if im impressed or disgusted with you...i'll think about it and let you know
3) Question: did you have to build the geodome? or did it come already put together??
4) Who offers someone 20dollars for a seat at a foodcourt????

1:04 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Ok, so the little black book is correct. I was a sophomore in HS, so that would make the Thanksgiving from Hell 1995. If I had been a really great blogger, I would have researched what we did on those years I can't remember.

Believe me, parts 2 and 3 get a LOT better than this one.

I have no idea how the geo-dome was, in fact constructed. I'm guessing it came in pieces. We strapped it down, hard core, to the oak tree during the Hurricanes because it's such and important aspect to the backyard.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Earnest, I think the bigger question is, who would turn down $20 for a chair at a food court?!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Earnest said...

fair enough...i wasnt going to insult family...but you should know that was running through my mind...the whole exchange is foreign to me!!

5:21 PM  
Blogger getamac said...

wow! that is some really funny/good memories. I totally forgot about having thanksgiving at our place in '90, but def remember going to see the Little Mermaid and having the entire family take up the whole front row, which was the only seats left.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home