graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Miss Grace is Older Than YOU and That's ALL That Matters

One of the perks of being a relatively young teacher of sixth graders hearing how old they think you are. Now, I am a professional. I don't talk about my age and when the kids ask, as they repeatedly do, how old I am, I just say, "Definitely OLDER than YOU!" Which always makes for a boisterous session of guesses of how old Miss Grace is.

27! 32! 16! 22! 46!

Then you'll always have the student who's like, "No, seriously, Miss G, how old are you?" As if it were just between me and her. Riiiight...like I'm going to tell you how young I am so you can take my class less seriously.

I've had the classroom gentleman shame the class and tell everyone that "It's not polite to ask how old someone is!"

Other favorites of mine are, "My mom said you're probably 22" and "My mom said you're probably 25."

Are you having family discussions about my age?! I mean, I know, I'm young. But seriously.

By far the best answer given so far this year is, "Well, you're WAAAAAY younger than the other teachers!" That kid's totally getting an A.

Speaking of kids taking me seriously, last year when I was student teaching in a poor school in the ghetto, I had to do some serious convincing for those kids to take me seriously. I thought it was a good idea to tell them they could call me Miss G, instead of my real last name. You know, abreviate things a bit. They were little and I was new, I figured it would be good.

Yeah, I thought that until I told my second graders that and a kid in the front didn't miss a beat, raised his hand and said, "I kin jes call you G?"

Oooops.

Its amazing how fast credibility can go down the tubes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Earnest said...

why dont you want them to know how old you are?

11:11 PM  
Blogger Einstein said...

dude you are now part of family dinner conversation. . . i think that makes you officially old. :-)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home