graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Nightmares, The Wild West, and The Basement of the Alamo

So yesterday I spent 2 hours after school and one hour during school hanging up portraits of the US presidents in order. I had at least 2 of all of them. But I had five George Washingtons and five Grover Clevelands. Anyway, it was a lot. I promise. But my room looked sweet and I was happy when I left.

So last night, I had a dream. Not sure if I would categorize it as a nightmare because it wasn't truly scary, but it definitely woke me up and made me think twice. In the dream, I walked into school this morning and found all of my walls bare and empty. All the presidents were gone. All of them. And no trace was left. They weren't on the floor, they weren't on a pile. I remember thinking that maybe the fire-inspectors had taken them down because I had covered 80% my walls with paper. Yeah, I officially dream about work now. That's a first for me.

Thankfully, everyone was basically in their place this morning when I got there and the kids were pumped. They also liked the story of my nightmare. Sixth graders are cool like that.

Theyr'e cool about a lot of stuff (minus using rulers). They know about tons of stuff I totally wouldn't expect them to know about. I mean, as a sixth grader, I had deep love and affection for Pee Wee's Big Adventure. And hey, I STILL have deep love and affection for that movie. But I was in sixth grade in 1992. Well, the good news I have for you today that that movie has stood the test of time and many sixth graders in 2004 not only have SEEN it, but can quote my favorite quote. My faith in parents these days jumped exponentially today when I discovered this.

Why was I talking about Pee Wee's Big Adventure in art class? Yeah, I'm thinking about that right now and wondering myself. I mean, that could totally be grounds for me getting fired or something, probably. Uh oh.

Well, a girl in my class had drawn a picture that seemed to have a lot referencing Texas in it. I had notice this Texas-thing in her work before. And since I did my 4 years time out in Texas in undergrad, I asked her if she used to live there. She said yes, that she used to live in Houston.

Then someone piped in and asked if I used to live in the "wild west". I tried to give him the news flash that the "wild west" only exists today in that silly country song and in history books. But these Florida kids weren't having any of that. Then, someone asked if I'd ever been to the Alamo and I so I explained that I had because I loved this movie.

Most of you know the story here. But for those of you who don't, PWBA is one of my family's favorite films. We especially loved it when he went to the Alamo, searching for his bike in the basement and the tour guide laughs at him and says, "There's no basement in the Alamo." Awesome. So upon embarking on my undergraduate experience in Texas, I was determined to go visit the Alamo, thought it was miles away from where I was. That's when good old Eleanor and her San Antonio roots came in.

Today in class, my kids mentioned the basement-of-the-Alamo-thing before I did. Man, I love that class. I should have given them all A's just for knowing that. Of course, they think I'm super awesome because I had been there and I could tell them that though it is true that there is no basement to the Alamo, that there IS, in fact, a basement to the Alamo's gift shop.

These are going to be some well-rounded kids when I get through with them.


6 Comments:

Blogger Einstein said...

Please no more Pee Wee Herman. I can't take it. I will however give you kudoos for dreaming about work. While I have never had a real job persee I have in fact many many times dreamed about certain physics homework problems that i was currently working on. welcome to the work of freaks!!! :-)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Oh goodness Grace! Dreaming about work! Its definately an adult world thing... I have to say the days I started dreaming about work were scary... well... mainly b/c of what I do at work often is not the most pleasant of things so to have dreams about some of the psychotic people is well more like a nightmare! I feel ya on the not quite sure if its a dream or nightmare thing! Heres to more dreams about sweet boys and less about work!

11:02 PM  
Blogger getamac said...

"The stars at night are big and bright
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!"

Sorry, just had to do that...it's what comes to mind whenever I hear of PWBA. :-)

Awesome blog "Grace"...Ruthums showed me hers and yours tonight and I've enjoyed the entires.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Earnest said...

okay i have to say this....That was the WORST movie..Pee wee is by far the most annoying and obnoxious s.o.b. on this plannet and i couldnt dislike that movie anymore if i tried!!! may god have mercy on your soul for thinking otherwise!

1:05 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

So Earnest...did I ask you?

And I must be into some dreaming thing because I totally had a dream about a sweet boy last night, except he wasn't very nice to me...he totally ditched me actually. Ass.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Ok yay for getamac's comment...that's the second best part of the movie! I even did a tap dance back in 6th grade to that song and it ruled. Dude, sixth graders are COOL.

I'm just rereading my previous comment. I should probably stop admitting stuff about my dreams. Must be some anxiety...or maybe it was just some margaritas that weren't sitting right...

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home