graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Eleanor

Funny how my last entry discusses routine and how glad I was to get back to it, when exactly one day later, I was interrupting it again of my own volition. But that's not what I want to talk about this evening while I watch football, eat pizza and drink beer. In between tomahawk chops and humming Rocky Top Tennessee, I have decided to write about my friend Eleanor. Don't worry, ye friends of Grace, you'll all get your chance and you're all being worked on. This stuff takes time though, k?

Eleanor likes pink. A lot. In fact, if you go in her closet, you'll find pink everything. Pink, pink, pink. We even once had a birthday party for her themed "Pink".

Within the first 48 hours of knowing Eleanor, I was impressed by two things, that she was from San Antonio and she received a dozen red roses for her birthday from a guy in our freshman class. Two things that ran through my mind: "Dude, I'm totally going home with her for Thanksgiving. And, man, this girl works fast!"

Eleanor is a great friend to have if you're ever in the mood for a shot of 151 at 4pm on a Tuesday afternoon. At least she used to be. That shot may or may not have scarred her for life for ever doing a shot of 151.

She may not be a great Taboo player, but it's great playing against her because she says things like, "Don't blank the blank" which in Eleanor-ese OBVIOUSLY means "Don't shoot the gun?"

Eleanor has this special talent of being the only person I know who could get her all her studying and homework finished well, party like a rock star and still seem to get a full 8 hours of sleep a night.

Did I mention that the color pink and Eleanor's name are practically synonymous in my mind?

She has tipped me onto some great combinations like pink and green. But she also has, what I consider to be a strange opinion on Big Red and Cool Ranch Doritos. I just can't get behind that one, ok?

Eleanor is one of the most talented people at phrasing a command as a sweet little question. As in, "Hey, Grace, do you think you might want to turn out the light?"

I think that in at least 1/4 of the pictures I have of Eleanor, she has a big toothy beautiful Texas grin. In the other 3/4, she has that grin, along with a piece of gum visible between her teeth. Sexy.

She wore a stocking cap for what I'm pretty sure was about six weeks straight while we were in Europe. Again. Sexy.

Many girls have opinions on the last name of the man they marry. Eleanor is the only one who has a last name picked out, and not a person who matches it. Yet. If there are any Mr. Valentines out there, please contact me and we'll see what we can get set up with you and the future Mrs. Valentine.

Eleanor and I see eye-to-eye on guilty pleasures like Dove Chocolate, The Bachelor and Cheese-Its.

One time Eleanor and I drove 12 hours to see an Indigo Girls' concert over our spring break. We got to Atlanta, saw the Coca-Cola Museum, went to the CNN building, saw the concert and drove home. Call us devoted fans, but please, don't call us lesbians.

She makes a mean brocolli salad. Trust me.

She was once a girl-who-just-got-out-of-the-shower for Halloween, which is hillarious, in and of itself.

Eleanor is always up for throwing parties, telling interesting stories, making drunk dials, saying things like, "Grace, be for REAL", and eating Publix cookies.

She's fabulous at plucking eyebrows and, if she lived nearer to me, mine would be in her full command.

Once Ellie called her parents at 3 in the morning, from New Orleans, on New Year's Eve, just to tell them that Hang on Sloopy had just been played. But the problem was that her phone cut off in mid-call and then completely died, so her parents were just slightly worried about their eldest child, who had probably had more than her share of hurricanes that New Year's Eve.

Ellie's really honest and loyal and a really good listener. She's also the best drunk I know, and perhaps one of the most commical people I know, even though she won't here any word of that.

She's also really good at not making you feel bad for breaking pacts you have together. In fact, she'll go out and break it too, since, of course, you broke it first. But hey, definitely makes a girl feel better.

Eleanor sends me emails with pictures of places called Foamhenge and Zach Braff. She also is great about sending emails with facts about religious holidays, national holidays and even those third tier holidays (though I have yet to receive one from her on Arbor Day...I'll just have to wait for it this year). They tell you things like how many easter eggs are painted, how much candy is bought and how many Mexican-Americans live in the USA.

You should definitely have a friend like Eleanor.

PS. I almost forgot one of the truly fabulous things about Eleanor is that she has some control problems when skiing and laughing a lot. I'll leave it at that, El.

8 Comments:

Blogger Earnest said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Earnest said...

I could not agree more!! I think Eleanor RULES!! She's also very talented with playing "would you rather....." games and always thinks of the most repulsive choices to chose from. She is also the proveyor of the "nose-blow" and has a reputation for not being afraid to drink certain things...even when most humans when dying of thirst dare not. she's damn funny and recognizes that drinking from a rubber chicken is also damn funny! She's an instigator and thus tied for one my top three favorite mardi gras guests!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Jason Dean said...

She sounds very interesting. And you two have a great friendship, more like sisters than freinds. And related to someone famous?!?!
She asked if I was related to James Dean. No, Dean is my middle name. Although he was one cool cat.

Take Care

10:52 AM  
Blogger Einstein said...

Ode to Eleanor:
Let me count the reasons why I love Eleanor
(1) she snorts when she laughs which makes me laugh even harder
(2) Eleanor introduced me to Dr. Pepper
(3) she introduced me to taco cabana
(4) her favorite hobby is shopping and then shopping and more shopping
(5) when no one else will pop your zits she will
(6) she says things like "digging my shit" and "that is so bitch" and "i promise I don't say bad words!!" and "the man I date must be a good kisser"
(7) she'll wake up at 5:30 in the morning to go pour bubbles in the school fountain with you
(8) she's so honest and trustworthy and yet so much fun crammed into one body it's a blast.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Man, I should have done this for El's birthday. Anyway, happy unbirthday, El. Al and Earnest, you're up eventually

6:22 PM  
Blogger Earnest said...

she introduced you to Dr. Pepper??? you lived 20 years w/o knowing about dr. pepper? where exactly was you commune located?????

6:29 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

i'm not sure if she introduced it to me or if it was just TEXAS that introduced it to me, but i went about 20 years without getting the whole dr. pepper thing too. now i'm totally behind it...in fact, i'm wearing a dr. pepper tshirt right this second

7:16 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

wow -- i'm totally floored. y'all had the nicest things to say (and some of the most embrassing!!!). thanks for your thoughts -- they really made my day and then some.

just so you know, for each story you had for me, i have about 10 for y'all!!! i think we feed off of each other, but yet balance each other out. i have the best friends ever. i love y'all!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home