graceaplenty

Grace should be my middle name.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Debate

Due to recent activities at school, I am bringing up the subject regarding the Cha Cha Slide.

For those of you who don't know, it's a cool, hip, new, line dance sort of thing where the song calls out what you are supposed to do "square dance" style. It's not lame, I promise. Ok, so it's lame, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of a question I have about it.

How does one "Charlie Brown?"

One of my friends and I need to know. We NEED to know. I told my friend that I'd ask the 6th graders.

First though, I was in a discussion with my 20 year old sister about this. She said she did a good bit of Cha Cha Slide out in San Diego. And she informs me that "Charlie Browning" is when you bend over, put your hands on your knees and move your knees in and out, hands along with them. Reminds me of some sort of clownish, Roy Rogers Follies thing.

So then this morning, I asked my 2nd period class what doing the "Charlie Brown" is. And about 6 of them stood up and did something totally different. They all pulled their foot up to their butt, as if they were stretching their hamstring and jumped around. Looked like something circa 1994 that Kriss Kross might do. I said to my 6th graders, "Are you sure that's right?" They were positive. I asked, "Are you sure it's not when you put your hands on your knees and move them in and out?!" They said, "Absolutely NOT, there is another part in the song that specifically states to put your hands on your knees!"

So now I have conflicting answers. I IMed my sister. She says that she is absolutely right and that I shouldn't listen to 6th graders because they're too young and are only 1 year older than our littlest sister. I told her that could be true, but that she might, in fact, be too OLD to know of something like the Cha Cha Slide. I mean, how many cool 20 year olds know about that stuff? I'm guessing not many.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Next, my research is taking me to Goggle and then on Friday to the 6th Grade Dance, of which I am chaperoning. It's a really good thing these kids are young and oblivious to know how excited I am about chaperoning. They'd know for sure I was a total loser and give me no respect.

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Alright, maybe I am the dork! But its a jazz jump... they are all wrong! :) You basically just jump forward or back or to the side and move your head around! :) Have fun at the dance!!!! :) Show them how its really done!!!!!!!!!!! haha

10:39 PM  
Blogger Earnest said...

i have no freakin clue...unlike some people i have enough dignity to know the "cha cha slide" is queer and should be avoided at all cost! that being said...those kids dont know their ass from 1st base! "Kriss Kross" i do know about and thats their move. i would imagine something called the "charlie brown" would NOT be a dance move started by two 8yr old rappers wearing their clothes backwards...besides i saw them on VH1's where are they now...there's no way those guys would allow their move to be degraded like that! 6th graders are stupid...im way smarter than they are...I RULE

2:35 AM  
Blogger Einstein said...

cha cha slide - wow am i out of it - i've never heard of such riduculousness. . . but sounds fun

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home